Friday 26 April 2013

Interview with Danielle Robinson!

Image courtesy of Danny Flower Photography

Danielle Robinson is well known in Ireland not only for being part of RTE reality show Fade Street but for her renowned skill as a coveted tattoo artist in 'Dublin Ink.' In person she is naturally beautiful but it is evident that doesn't rely on her looks. Robinson has a wealth of talent and is an inspiration to young ladies nationwide. She divulged in our interview how she loves immersing herself in other cultures by learning a variety of languages and is constantly eager to learn more and live life to the fullest. I spoke in-depth with Danielle about her inspiration, regrets, ambitions, personal style and the best thing that has happened in her life to date....

1. What is your favorite item in your wardrobe?

I have a small collection of Doc Martens, and one of my favourite pairs is my 24 hole maroon doc's. They definitely make me look like a bit of a goth, but I can live with that!

2. Who is your style icon?

I'm going to be honest here, I just googled 'Top 10 style icons'.. I have certain designers I love, Alexander McQueen and Vivienne Westwood being two of them, but in regards to a certain icon, I don't really have one. I admire Chloe Sevigny, her look is so high fashion, bare makeup, clean skin, nude colours. But not only would I not be able to pull it off, keeping a nude wardrobe is way too much hassle.

3. What kind of an outfit would you wear on a night out? Is your daytime/night time look very varied?

I work in a tattoo parlour surrounded by burley men, as appealing as this sounds, it does mean I tend to dress down during the week days, so when I'm having a night out I like to doll myself up. I love wearing dark lipstick and bare eye, but the lipstick is too much effort to maintain during work, so I lash it on during weekends. I also like showing my legs, seeing as I haven't got the cleavage!!

4. What do you think of the Irish social scene? Where are your favourite places to go out/dine?

Oooh the Irish social scene is very 'clicky'. I have a great bunch of friends that I stick with, being in 'the scene' gets bitchy sometimes, and I can't cope with that. Being a vegetarian I love indian food - my favourite place being 'Diwali' on Georges street, lots and lots of fresh veg... I know your jealous right?

5. What is the best thing that has ever happened to you?

Last year, my little sister got pregnant, this took a bit of time to get used to the idea of her having a child. Jake was born, and he was the most beautiful little boy I've ever seen. Unfortunately Jake took very ill after 7 weeks, he was rushed to Crumlin Childrens hospital and put on life support. After going un-noticed by multiple doctors and nurses my sister had seen, Jake's heart wasn't growing, also leading to problems with his respiratory system.
After a few days of intensive care, we were told that Jake wouldn't make it and we were to make plans for his christening with the hospital's own Cardinal, my sister asked me to be Godmother. I know what your thinking, this is the 'best thing that's ever happened'?
Well, miraculously a few days after his christening which was held in the I.C.U. Jake took a turn for the best, he was now able to have the surgery that would give him a chance at life. He has now just turned 1, and is almost back to full health. This was due to the incredible care of my sister, an amazing mother, my family, and of course everyone in Crumlin Hospital, who now calls Jake by his nickname 'Miracle baby'.

6. What has been the highlight of your career to date?

I was featured in a 6 page pin-up style shoot for Stellar magazine one Christmas, I still have the edition in my wardrobe. It was my favourite shoot I ever did.

7. What are your ambitions for the future?

Hopefully, by next year i will have my degree in Psychology, it's my true passion. I'm also taking up some language classes, so by next year I should have basics in french, german and portuguese. I know its kinda nerdy, but I love learning new things. I hope to never stop educating myself.

8. What is your ideal man like? Is he stylish?

My ideal man is intelligent and funny, intelligence is a huge thing to me. I need a lot of conversation to keep me interested. A lot of modern men are so tied up in how they look, they are blind to anything else. I'd rather go way back and date a cave man than the men who self tan and highlight their hair.

9. Where do you shop? Do you have a particular brand you always go back to?

I'm not devoted to any particular brand. But for big events I will splash out on Topshop gear, other than that I'm into  H & M, Penneys, New Look and Forever 21. Cheap and cheerful! And most importantly, you can mix and match everything, fooling people into thinking you've a rather large wardrobe..

10. What is your most embarrassing moment?

Generally I embarrass myself almost everyday, I have never met someone as clumsy as myself. I've even put other peoples lives in danger by just being in their presence!

11. Who has been the most inspirational person you have met?

My sister, by far,  her courage and strength when her son was in hospital really touched me, she never left his side. Now the two of them have this bond I've never witnessed before. For almost one year she woke on the hour every hour during the night to administer Jake his medication, and still made herself be available that day to cater to everything he needed, including constant play time. It does help having such a close family too, my mam and dad were amazing through everything. I'm pretty useless at holding myself together with these things.

12. Do you have any regrets?

Not one, I have things I wish I had done differently, but I'm glad I experienced everything I did. I met some amazing people, (and some not so amazing), but it was a step to getting my job in Dublin Ink where I've worked for 3 years now and have made my own little family within the studio.

13. Where can we check out your latest ramblings - What are your social networking deets?

You can follow me on my facebook page at Danielle Robinson, you can tweet me on @Dani_Elle_a !

Image courtesy of Danny Flower Photography


xo L

No comments:

Post a Comment